Sprinkled With Love

Welcome to Sprinkled With Love! I started this blog in 2009 when I started taking Wilton cake decorating classes, as a way to share my decorated cakes with others. Since then my family & friends have kept me busy creating birthday cakes, wedding cakes & more. Sprinkled with love has grown to be so much more since then. Please take a look around to see what I have been up to, and remember, share some love and leave a comment!



Sunday, June 10, 2012

Day 5: Molonkini and Lana'i Snorkeling Adventure


My first snorkeling experience was ten years ago while visiting Grand Cayman Island.  The moment that I broke the water surface and saw the amazing underwater world, I was hooked.  I was in awe of the multi coloured fish and coral.  I was truely an experience that I will remember for a lifetime!

We booked a snorkeling adventure with the Pacific Whale Foundation, that included a full day on the water with a stop at Molokini and off the coast of Lana'i.  We chose PWF because all of the profits go towards supporting their work to protect the oceans.  Our tour included numerous free options including learn-to-snorkel class, a fish ID class, a Jr. Naturalist program and a free guided reef tour.  They even provided snorkelers with reef-safe sunscreen.

For an extra fee, you can rent an underwater digital camera, which I highly recommend.  We captured some amazing photos and video footage!  We also rented wet suit shirts which added some extra protection from the sun, and the water which felt quite chilly to start with. The snorkel gear included was top class, and included optical masks for anyone who wears glasses.  I tried these out and they worked great, but they have limited numbers, so ask about them early.

We met at the Pacific Whale Foundation Ocean Store at The Harbor Shops at Ma’alaea.  After an orientation, we boarded the boat and enjoyed a tropical-style continental breakfast including delisious, local grown fruit.  Our first stop was Molokini, a world-famous crater with crystal clear waters, and home to more than 250 species of fish.  The views were absolutely amazing!  Try to be one of the first people off of the boat because the time goes by so quickly.  I felt really safe on this tour. The Pacific Whale Foundation had members kayaking in the water, and had noodles available for anyone that wanted a little extra help floating.









From here, we crossed the channel to snorkel off of the beautiful coast of Lana’i, enjoying a delicious BBQ lunch along the way.  Several of the PWF workers also shared a wealth of knowledge about the variety of fish species in the area.  Once at Lana'i, we had the option of jumping into the water or 'sliding' off of the boat.  The reefs in this area did not disappoint.  We saw many more fish and were lucky to sight wild dolphins as well. 



On the boat ride back, they swam next to us for a while putting on quite the show!



The ride back was pretty rough, so we stayed put while the workers served everyone with refreshments.  We enjoyed the time to talk with the other tourists while enjoying the amazing views.  Overall, we had an amazing experience.  The only thing I did not like was that I ended up getting some "sea legs" later that night!  I went to be early and felt great by the morning. 

Stay tuned tomorrow when I look back at Day 6 including boogie boarding at D.T Flemming Park.

Have you ever been snorkeling or SCUBA Diving?  If so, where?  I would love to try SCUBA Diving sometime but I am a little chicken!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...