Sprinkled With Love

Welcome to Sprinkled With Love! I started this blog in 2009 when I started taking Wilton cake decorating classes, as a way to share my decorated cakes with others. Since then my family & friends have kept me busy creating birthday cakes, wedding cakes & more. Sprinkled with love has grown to be so much more since then. Please take a look around to see what I have been up to, and remember, share some love and leave a comment!



Friday, June 1, 2012

Moving Tips

Twice a year I have to pack up and move.  While it is a lot of work, it forces me to do a good clean twice a year and I always feel like I am getting a fresh start.  I started packing over a month ago since we will be moving home as soon as the hockey season is over.  It has been a very exciting year, and the Norfolk Admirals have reached the finals of the Calder Cup.  The last possible day for this series is June 15th, so I know that the move is coming up quickly.

Most of our items are already boxed up and labeled.  Some of our items are going home with us for the summer, while others will stay in storage until next season.  Since we do not know where we will be, we have decided to rent a UHaul Box this year.  Last year we used PODS and it worked great, but we found it was a little expensive to get it delivered, so we are hoping that UHaul will provide us with a good, yet cheaper alternative.  I will write a post at the beginning of next season to let you know about our experience with UHaul.

Each move, I always forget to do something.  I know a lot of other wonderful hockey women that go through these same experiences each season, so I thought I would share some of the secrets that I have learned along the way. 
  1. Give your 30, or 60 day notice on your apartment.  Make sure that you get any promises in writing if they say that you can give less notice than is usually required. Get the move out list if your apartment provides one, so you know what is expected when you move out.  Again, if they tell you that you are not required to do something, like getting your carpets professionally cleaned, get this in writing.
  2. Call to have your tv/internet, electricity, etc. cancelled for your move out date.
  3. Book your moving company, whether you are hiring a company to do all the work, or renting a UHaul truck.  I have heard that only certain UHaul trucks are allowed to cross international borders, so make sure to book one early if you are planning to do so.
  4. If you are driving a vehicle across the border that is not in your name, make sure that you have a signed letter from the owner giving you permission to do so.
  5. If you are importing a vehicle across the border, make sure that all of your paperwork is faxed to the border at least 72 hours prior to when you will be crossing the border.
  6. Change your mail address.  If you are crossing the border, change your address to the rink, and they will send it on to you.  The first time I lived in the US, we changed our address to Canada, but nothing had enough postage to get there so we did not receive it, which caused us lots of problems the following year.  Since then we have given the rink address and had no problems.
  7. Change your address with your bank.
  8. Get lots of packing supplies, and start packing early.  Go through your items and clothes and pack up anything that you will not need in the coming month.  It will be much less stressful if you start doing small things like this early on.  Make sure to securely fasten all of your containers and label them to make unpacking easier.
  9. Start using up the groceries that you have on hand.  Plan your meals for a week before shopping, so that you only buy what you need.  There is nothing I hate worse than having to throw out a bunch of half eaten food or condiments at the end of the season.
  10. Start your cleaning early too.  Give your oven, microwave, bath tub and so on a good clean a few weeks before your move out date, so that it only requires a quick touch up before you move.
Those are my top ten moving hints.  I would love to hear your moving ideas, so please leave a comment if you have a great tip that I can add to my list and share with others.  Stay tuned for some of my cleaning tips!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...